Sunday, May 28, 2006

Mayor Morial Day

You see, I was born in 1975, when Moon Landrieu was mayor. But the first mayor I can remember was Dutch.

This early awareness of who was mayor, and a tendency for me to misuse terms as a wee child, led to a grand juxtaposition of terms. The unofficial beginning of summer in my mind was not Memorial Day, but “Mayor Morial” Day. My mother eventually set me straight.

I do hope the Bayou Boogaloo becomes an annual “Mayor Morial” Day Weekend event. I had a great time. Da po’ wife and I stopped by the Dirty Coast table while we were there and I finally got a shirt. I believe the Humid One himself sold it to me. Apparently, I am extra-large now. Moving on up.

Much props to Mid-City.

Speaking of Morials, I saw Michelle Miller reporting on CBS Evening News at 5pm. Her report was about how Allstate is dropping customers in coastal states, including New York.

Happy Mayor Morial Day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was me if the guy who sold it to you was a bearded, hungover ox of a dude.

thanks for the buy.

and to all those who attended I say . . .

http://humidhaney.typepad.com/the_humid_haney_rant/2006/05/thanks_mid_city.html

Anonymous said...

That was me if the guy who sold it to you was a bearded, hungover ox of a dude.

thanks for the buy.

and to all those who attended I say . . .

http://humidhaney.typepad.com/the_humid_haney_rant/2006/05/thanks_mid_city.html

oyster said...

Mayor Morial Day!

I got a kick out of that. And I can vouch for Blake's self-description.

Hollis P. Wood said...

Similar childhood story. My fathers name is Hugh Paul. My grandmother always called him Huey P. I thought the Huey P. Long Bridge was named after my father until I was 6 or 7. His name was Huey P and it was a very "long" bridge.

Mark Folse said...

What he said. Hope you're OK, and you join the battle again soon.

Best, MF.